Hammonton Chamber of Commerce
Home arrow About Hammonton arrow History of Hammonton
Hammonton Chamber of Commerce | Friday, 31 October 2014
Main Menu
 Home
 Member Businesses
 About Us
 Contact Us
 About Hammonton
 History of Hammonton
 Facts & Figures
 Local Government
 Airport
 Main Street
 Schools
 Economic Development
 Jobs in Hammonton
 Red White & Blueberry Festival

 
 
 
Advertisement
History of Hammonton   Print  E-mail

HAMMONTON HISTORY

Hammonton was settled by William Coffin in 1812. It was situated strategically between the shipbuilding center of Mays Landing and the iron towns of Weymouth and Batsto. The economy fi rst centered around the sawmill and glassworks established by Coffin, but since the early 1800’s, its roots have been agricultural in nature (with all puns intended). The infl ux of Italian immigrants, many from one town of Gesso, Sicily, supported the agrarian base with hard work and a family atmosphere. As a matter of fact, according to the latest U.S. Census, Hammonton is the U.S. municipality with the largest concentration of Italians. More than 54 percent of Hammonton’s 12,604 residents call themselves Italian. That’s the largest concentration of any place in the nation with more than 1,000 people, just ahead of Johnston, Rhode Island; East Haven, Connecticut; Rosetto, Pennsylvania: and Frankfort, New York. Hammonton, which was originally spelled “Hammondton,” offi cially broke away from Mullica Township in 1866. Its current nickname “Blueberry Capital of the World” is emblazoned upon billboards as you enter town and blueberries adorn many logos and signs throughout town – however, at one time, it was also known as Peach City.

 
Advertisement
 
   
     

 
Hammonton Chamber of Commerce © 2006 All rights reserved.
Powered by LOADEDMEDIA Web Development
Варифорт site map